skip to main content
Registration and Enrollment Information
Main Page Image


Children entering kindergarten shall be five (5) years of age on or before August 15th of that school year.


What do parents need to bring to register? 

  • Two (2) Proofs of Residency

NEW STUDENTS are required to show (2) different proofs of residency for their zoned school on or before registration day.  Proof of residency is a current (within the last 30-60 days) utility bill - electric, gas, water - with the parent's name and address printed on it.  If parents have not been living at the residence long enough to have a utility bill, a contract or lease on a house or apartment will be accepted.  Agency, government or court documentation will also be accepted.

It is recommended that schools ask for two (2) different proofs of residency for RETURNING STUDENTS as well.

  • Immunization Records and Physical Examination Records

To get a Tennessee Health Card School Immunization Certificate, parents should contact their child's doctor and schedule an appointment for a kindergarten physical.  At the time of the physical, the health card Tennessee School Immunization Certificate will be issued.

Immunizations must be up to date.

  • Certified Copy of Child's Birth Certificate
  • Child's Social Security Card




Students may also receive a Free and Reduced Lunch application in their registration packet.  2017 applications will be available at schools in August.

Hamilton County no longer accepts a POWER OF ATTORNEY to register a child for school.

In accordance with state law, in order to transfer guardianship/custodianship a petition must be filed, approved, and signed by a judge.



Special Circumstances

The required documentation above may be taken to the zoned school. However, students who have the following two situations, need to come to CENTRAL OFFICE:

  1. AFFIDAVIT NEEDED: If a student and his/her custodial parent/guardian are living with another family in the Hamilton County school zone, both families must be present to sign a notarized Affidavit of Housing. Failure to provide accurate information could interrupt your child’s enrollment process. The supporting family member or representative must provide two (2) different proofs of current address to be approved for that zone. Acceptable documents are current electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days, a current lease or mortgage, and Agency or court documentation. In the case of an Agency, a representative must mail or fax a letter to the Student Services Office verifying the student/parent’s residence. If the family has moved into the Hamilton County school zone from another town or state they must also provide a copy of a Certified Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Immunization records must be on a Tennessee form (this can be done at the Health Department at no charge or your private physician). After approval, you will take the immunization form to the school who will notify the parent if a physical is needed.
  2. MOVING BETWEEN SCHOOL ZONES: If moving from one school zone to another, during the school year, the custodial parent/guardian must provide termination-exit\transfer-final bill proof  from the previous address and show two (2) different proofs of the new address in the custodial parent/guardian’s name (i.e., utilities, DHS, government documents, insurance).


2017/2018 School Year

New and returning students should register at their zoned school on Monday, August 7. Students with the two situations listed above, however, need to come to the Student Services Office on Hickory Valley.

The Student Services Office will be conducting scheduled days for proof of residency (for the above situations only) daily on days and times TBD in the Hamilton County Department of Education Board Room (3074 Hickory Valley Road, Chattanooga, TN  37421). 

To avoid long wait times in August, parents and guardians are encouraged to bring documentation into the Student Services Office between July 10 and July 27, 2017 for the two situations listed above. Summer office hours (May 31st through July 27th) are Monday through Thursday 8:30 to 3:30.

Please be advised that Thursday, August 10th is a scheduled school day and students must attend or they will receive an unexcused absence.


All content © 2017 Hamilton County Department of Education. All rights reserved.
3074 Hickory Valley Road, Chattanooga, TN 37421 | 423-498-7020
Annual Notice of Non-Discrimination