Inclement Weather Procedures
INCLEMENT WEATHER OPERATING PROCEDURES
The following procedures will be followed in determining that schools will be closed when snow or inclement weather prohibits the transporting of students on school buses.
- The Transportation Department staff will determine the condition of roads in all school zones. After checking with the U. S. Weather Bureau, the Director of Transportation will report his/her findings and recommendations to the Deputy Superintendent – no later than 5:00 a.m. A final status check of road conditions will be made between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m.
- The Superintendent or his designee will make a determination regarding school closing and will notify necessary staff, media and parents no later than 5:45 a.m. Parents will be notified via the emergency communication telephone system.
- On these inclement weather days, appropriate notification will be given to the news media. A call will be placed to all student households and staff members advising of the school closure and if School Age Child Care is open or closed. This call will be made early enough to prevent students from going to bus stops and child care. Parents should also be instructed to listen for the appropriate announcement via TV and radio so they can plan accordingly.
- When changing weather conditions necessitate early dismissal of school, public announcements and emergency calls to student homes will be made as soon as possible, but no less than a minimum of one hour prior to school closing time.
- Principals should explain to children and parents that on emergency inclement weather days – when children are dismissed early because of snow, ice, flooding, etc. – school buses will carry the children as close as practicable (in the judgment of the school bus driver) to their home stop. Buses will not operate on steep hills, dangerous curves, dead end roads, etc. All extra-curricular activities (including practices) are to be canceled.
- Unless the Central Office is announced as being closed due to inclement weather, all employees who accrue vacation leave should report to their work sites by 10:00 a.m. If unable to report by 10:00 a.m., the employee must use vacation or personal leave. The only exception to this regulation would be Operations and Maintenance employees. Operations and Maintenance employees will receive instructions from their immediate supervisor through Gary Waters, Assistant Superintendent for Auxiliary Services.