HCDE Teachers Gain National Board Certification
Chattanooga, Tennessee – January 19, 2012 – Ten Hamilton County teachers, from a variety of disciplines, earned National Board Certification in December pushing the number of Board Certified teachers in the district to 32. The new National Board Certified teachers are:
- Brinn Dalton - Hixson High School
- Karen Fogo - Normal Park Museum Magnet, Upper
- Jennifer Greever - Normal Park Museum Magnet, Upper
- Autumn Hart - Lookout Mountain Elementary
- Steven Hinkle - Big Ridge Elementary
- Tammy Johnson- McConnell Elementary
- Virginia Kidd - Hixson High School
- Charity Langley - Apison Elementary
- Tara Tharp - Signal Mountain Middle High School
- Jeana Turner - Central Office
The Hamilton County Education Association in partnership with the Hamilton County Department of Education promotes National Board Certification to its teacher ranks. With funds from the NEA Foundation and the inclusion of Race to the Top, Hamilton County is building a support system for NBC candidates.
National Board Certification is awarded by the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards and is the highest credential in the teaching profession. A teacher-driven, voluntary process, certification is achieved through a rigorous, performance-based assessment that typically takes one to three years to complete and measures what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do.
As part of the process, teachers build a portfolio that includes student work samples, assignments, videotapes and a thorough analysis of their classroom teaching. Additionally, teachers are assessed on their knowledge of the subjects they teach. To learn more about this certification, visit the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards’ website at www. nbpts.org.
Any HCDE educator interested in pursuing NBC is encouraged to contact Karen Glenn at email@example.com or Sharon Vandagriff at firstname.lastname@example.org.