The Hamilton County Department of Education is proud and appreciative of the financial and physical support provided to its schools and students by the local business community. Below are a list of some of our corporate partners and a brief description of the programming they provide to students and staff:
- Unum - The supplemental insurance giant, headquartered in Chattanooga, is a strong supporter of increasing student achievement in Hamilton County. In 2005, Unum revamped it's corporate giving strategy to focus on public education. In 2006, Unum pledged $500,000 over 4 years to Hamilton County schools in the form of classroom mini-grants for teachers, technology grants for promethean boards in classrooms and matching grants to match other funds for promethean boards in the classroom. Unum also adopts a local school each year, sending more than 300 employees to help "renovate" the campus with murals, painting, landscaping and much more. Unum employees also act as role models, participating in Big Brothers/Big Sisters programs at Orchard Knob and Dalewood Middle Schools.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield TN - The health insurance corporation, headquartered in Chattanooga, is a strong partner with Hamilton County Department of Education. BCBS TN has funded several projects for individual schools and provided district-wide support in the form of the Blue Cross Walking Works program at elementary schools, donating to the Be There Parent Engagement Campaign and supporting schools through donations of printers and furniture.
- Volkswagen - In 2008, the German automaker announced plans to build a $1 billion manufacturing plant in Chattanooga. As part of that commitment, Volkswagen wanted to partner with the local education system. In 2008, VW announced a philantrhopic donation of $800,000, over 4 years, to the Hamilton County Department of Education. This donation is directed to three areas: teacher training (through the annual VW Summer Teacher Instititute), ACT training for teachers and renovation of the Calvin Donaldson Annex into a LEED certified building. Volkswagen announced this philanthropic donation to a worldwide audience at Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy in March 2009.
- TVA - The Tennessee Valley Authority, which supplies power to the region and state, has established a business partners program with several Hamilton County schools. Focusing on the downtown schools, TVA hosts three golf tournaments each year, raising in excess of $150,000 annually to benefit the schools. TVA also supports instruction through its after-school Robotics Club and helping students learn how to apply the math and science skills from the classroom to real-life engineering situations. TVA hosts an annual Robotics showcase where student projects are presented to TVA executives who judge them and give out awards for creativity and application of math and science theory.
- Chattem - Chattem, Inc., which makes notable health products such as Goldbond, IcyHot and ACT, is headquartered in Chattanooga. Through its foundation, Hamico, the local manufacturing company supports Hamilton County schools in a variety of ways including paying for educational doctorate degrees for administrators, supporting technology in the schools, funding the Character Education conference and supporting other programs throughout the system.
- First TN - the local headquarters of this regional bank supports Hamilton County in a variety of ways including assistance with funding the Jim and Cynthia Scales scholarship, setting up trusts for local families in need and helping with other school-based projects.
- Sun Trust - the local headquarters of this regional bank also support Hamilton County schools with a variety of programs at the school level.
- EPB - EPB, the local utility company for Hamilton County, is a great supporter of public education. In addition to offering support through extension of it's high capacity fiber program for schools, EPB prints the sleeve covers for all elementary report cards. The company also has employees who come to schools to discuss electricity and other business aspects to students.
- Chattanooga Area Schools Federal Credit Union - The local credit union was started to serve local educators. It only serves members of Hamilton County Department of Education and a few northern Georgia school districts. CASFCU is a great supporter of Hamilton County schools funding various projects each year including the employee Convocation, annual holiday luncheon for Central Office, golf tournaments and the character education conference.
Other business partners that support school-based programs include:
- Erlanger Health System
- Memorial Health Systems
- Associated General Contractors