Children entering kindergarten shall be five (5) years of age on or before August 15th of this school year.

What do parents need to bring to register?
  • Two (2) Proofs of Residency

NEW STUDENTS  are required to show (2) different proofs ofStarting School residency for their zoned school on or before registration day. Proof of residency is a current (within the last 30-60 days) utility bill - electric, gas, water - with the parent's name and address printed on it. If parents have not been living at the residence long enough to have a utility bill, a contract or lease on a house or apartment will be accepted. Agency, government or court documentation will also be accepted.

RETURNING STUDENTS It is recommended that schools ask for two (2) different proofs of residency for returning students as well.

  • Tennessee School Immunization Certificate

This certificate has both immunization and physical exam information listed. Parents/guardians must provide this Certificate or have Proof of Appointment for the physical exam. If a student is entering Hamilton County Schools for the first time, the physical exam must have been completed in the last 12 months.

Immunizations must be up to date.

  • Certified Copy of Child's Birth Certificate

  • Child's Social Security Card


Students may also receive a Free and Reduced Lunch application in their registration packet. 2018 applications will be available at schools in August.

Hamilton County no longer accepts a POWER OF ATTORNEY to register a child for school.

In accordance with state law, in order to transfer guardianship/custodianship a petition must be filed, approved, and signed by a judge.

Special Circumstances

The required documentation above may be taken to the zoned school. However, students who have the following two situations, need to come to the CENTRAL OFFICE:

  1. AFFIDAVIT NEEDED: If a student and his/her custodial parent/guardian are living with another family in the Hamilton County school zone, both families must be present to sign a notarized Affidavit of Housing. Failure to provide accurate information could interrupt your child’s enrollment process. The supporting family member or representative must provide two (2) different proofs of current address to be approved for that zone. Acceptable documents are current electric, water, gas, or cable bills within the last 30-60 days, a current lease or mortgage, and Agency or court documentation. In the case of an Agency, a representative must mail or fax a letter to the Student Services Office verifying the student/parent’s residence. If the family has moved into the Hamilton County school zone from another town or state they must also provide a copy of a Certified Birth Certificate and Social Security Card. Immunization records must be on a Tennessee form (this can be done at the Health Department at no charge or your private physician). After approval, you will take the immunization form to the school who will notify the parent if a physical is needed.    
  2. MOVING BETWEEN SCHOOL ZONES: If moving from one school zone to another, during the school year, the custodial parent/guardian must provide termination-exit\transfer-final bill proof from the previous address and show two (2) different proofs of the new address in the custodial parent/guardian’s name (i.e., utilities, DHS, government documents, insurance).