Frequently Asked Questions
New HCS Students

If my student has never attended a Hamilton County School, what do I need to do to register my student?

  • Please visit, go to Families & Students tab, then Registration Information. On that page you will find the New Student Registration link in both English and Spanish.

If my student formerly attended HCS, but his/her most recent school is a non-HCS, what do I need to do to register my student back into HCS?

What documentation is required to register my student as a New Student in HCS?

  • Two proof of residence within the zone for the school in which you are registering, the 2 proofs may include:
    • Mortgage, Deed or Lease
    • Electric, water, gas, or cable dated within the last 30 days
    • Agency or Court Documentation with address dated within the last 30 days (IRS, SS Disability)
    • Insurance (medical, life, auto, home) statement dated within the last 30 days
    • Current Bank Statement or Employment Check Stub with address dated within the last 30 days
    • Birth Certificate - recommended, but not required
    • Student’s TN Immunization Form & Physical-Documented on TN Form (this form may be obtained at Pediatrician's office or Hamilton County Health Department), Certificate from Health Care Provider for Medical Exemption from Immunizations or Signed Statement from parent/guardian that vaccination conflicts with their religious tenets or practices.
    • Valid Email Address
    • If applicable, Guardianship/Custody documents signed by a Judge

I currently reside with family/another family and do not have proofs of residence, how do I register my student for school?

  • The mortgage/lease holder of the family in which you reside will need to provide:
    • Valid Identification (Driver's License, State ID)
    • Mortgage, Deed or Lease
    • Current Utility Bill for electric, water, gas or cable dated within the last 30 days
  • The guardian of the student will need to provide:
    • Two proofs that mail is being delivered to that address with their name (or termination of prior lease, utility bill, change of address)
    • Valid Identification (Driver's License, State ID)

My student's father and I never married and we live in separate school zones. We would like for our student to attend Westview Elementary, but I reside in Apison Elementary School zone. We do not have a court parenting plan. Which school can we register our student at?

  • In the State of Tennessee, if there is not a court ordered parenting plan, the mother is considered the primary parent. The student must be registered in the mother's zoned school of Apison Elementary.

I live in Ooltewah High School zone, but I would prefer to take my student to East Hamilton High School. How do I enroll my student at East Hamilton High School?

  • Hamilton County is a zoned school district. Your student will need to attend the school in the zone in which you reside.
  • You do have options - Please visit our School & Choice page.