Hardship Applications
April 15 through May 31.

Students learning at their computers.

For students who meet certain requirements, Hamilton County Schools offers the opportunity to apply for a hardship transfer. If accepted, the student would be allowed to attend a school outside of their zone. The 2019 application window for hardship transfers is April 15-May 31. Students that are granted a hardship must remain in the requested school for the entire school year. Hardship transfers are not guaranteed.

Hardship Request Guidelines

Bus transportation is not provided for students that are granted a hardship transfer. Applications are reviewed by the Hardship Transfer Committee and must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Medical - The student’s physician, psychiatrist or physiologist should provide written documentation and specific medical reasons (physical and/or psychological) why a student cannot attend the school to which he/she is zoned to attend.
    • Serious medical problem documented by license physician who is treating the student stating why a school change should be considered.
    • Medical documentation should be signed by license physician and dated within last 30 days.
    • If approved, the transfer will be granted to the school closest to the student’s zone school that has capacity to accommodate such a request.
    • The parent may also provide additional information as to why the transfer should be granted.
  • Legal/Unforeseen Family Circumstances - The student is subject to a court order/unexpected event that would prevent him/her from attending the school to which he/she is zoned to attend:
    • Catastrophic events, natural disaster
    • Supporting documents should be attached and current within the last 30-60 days.
    • Transfers will be approved for the school closest to the student’s zoned school that has capacity to accommodate such a request.
    • A state of misfortunes unique to the student’s life; adverse or compiling.
    • Once the court order expires, the student will be subject to returning to his/her zoned school.
  • Parent/Guardian is Full-Time HCDE Employee - Full-time Hamilton County School employees (custodial parents or legal guardians with whom the child resides) may request their child attend the school in which they work or the school within closest proximity of their work location. Full-time employees may be allowed to take their child to the school or feeder school of current work assignment.
    • Verification of full-time employment and location is required.
    • Out of state/out of county employees may be required to pay discounted tuition and/or for specialized services.
    • The student must be in good behavior and attendance standing at their home zone school to be considered for a special out of zone transfer.
    • If the work location of the employee changes, a new application must be submitted.
  • Current Hardships
    • Current hardship students for the 2018-2019 school year shall be grandfathered in through the highest grade of the school if the student is in good behavior and attendance standing.
    • Current hardships be required to apply if attending different school (ex. moving from middle to high) during the 2019-2020 school year.

Applications must be obtained at and submitted to the Office of Equity (3074 Hickory Valley Road) by May 31, 2019.

For additional information, please contact:
Office of Equity